Copyright©2008. Congregation of Saint Joseph.
WHEELING, WEST VIRGINIA
In the early 1853, Bishop Richard Vincent Whelan, first Bishop of Wheeling, requested sisters to aid in the work of his new diocese. Four sisters arrived in Wheeling on April 13, 1853 to care for patients in the newly established hospital. In May of that year two more women joined the other sisters. These six sisters formed the nucleus of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Wheeling. On May 4, 1860, the Wheeling community was made an independent Congregation by Bishop Whelan.
The Sisters of Saint Joseph of Wheeling continue to serve the people of West Virginia by reaching out to the people of God through a variety of ministries.
Ministries We Founded:
SSJ Health and Wellness Foundation
SSJ Charitable Fund
Holy Family Child Care & Development
A.B.L.E. Families, Inc
Ministry Grants Fund
St. Joseph Center
Peace & Justice
Make a Gift – Mission Advancement Office, 137 Mount St. Joseph Road, Wheeling, West Virginia 26003; 304.232.8160 ext. 148 or email Gary Mulhern at firstname.lastname@example.org
West Virginia Auxiliary of the Congregation of St. Joseph – To become a member of the Auxiliary, contact Connie Stahl at email@example.com.
Contact Us – Mount St. Joseph, 137 Mount St. Joseph Road, Wheeling, West Virginia 26003; 304.232.8160. or email InfoWheeling@csjoseph.org